Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whitewash by Gail Dawson

This book would be great for teaching children about race and discrimination. It shows what effect these topics have on children and how they should deal with these feelings. After Helene-Angel's face is painted white she still feels the paint that had been on her face. The gang that had done this to her and beat up her brother were showing horrible signs of discrimination that no child should go through. When Helene-Angel finally comes out of her room after a week of not eating or coming out of her room, she decides that she has the "right to be there too." This is a good attitude to have after she had been bullied so badly.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard about this book. I haven't read it myself, but I hear it was really emotionally heavy, but written very well. How did the book make you feel? Would you read it to your class? If you would, what age do you think it would be appropriate to read to your class? If you wouldn't, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I have never heard of this book! I would have to read it. It sounds really intense. I think any book like this is appropriate to read to your children.--You know from Block A how these children could start such big and thoughtful conversations about this book.

    ReplyDelete